13 May 2016 – A website apparently belonging to the organisers of the Bisley Antique and Classic Arms Fair says the fair has been cancelled after the NRA seized control of Bisley Pavilion last month.
A statement on the website reads as follows:
It is with great regret that we announce that our October show has been cancelled and there will be no future ones.
Although we had known that the lease on the Bisley Pavilion was to end in 2017 we had been told that our October date was safe and on that basis planned for it.
Without any warning the lease has been abruptly terminated and control of the Pavilion returned to the landlords. (The National Rifle Association)
On Tuesday 12th April we had an urgent meeting with the CEO and Operations Manager of the NRA to discuss the future. They informed us of their plans for the Pavilion which will result in the exhibition space being unavailable.
As a result of the meeting we have reluctantly decided that it would not be possible to continue with the Bisley Antique and Classic Arms Fairs in the same way as we have successfully for the last twenty one years.
All good things must come to a close, and we would rather leave now with, we hope, happy memories for our exhibitors and visitors. Thank you all for your support, and for making the Bisley Antiques and Classic Arms Fairs a unique experience.
With all our best wishes
Christopher Pearce and Cliff Fuller
UK Shooting News’ author does not have the time today to verify any of this by contacting either Mr Fuller or the NRA, so readers are advised to take it at face value only and to contact relevant parties themselves if this affects them.
It is entirely likely that the NRA will simply run its own antique arms fair on the same weekend. This appears to be the pattern as the NRA seizes control of revenue-raising operations at Bisley from established traders and buildings.